Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Educational Uncertainty

Ahh the uncertainty that comes with education. It seems to me from watching people at university that there are even more uncertain students in my 3rd year courses, than there are in the 1st year courses I'm taking. Everyone gets less and less sure of themselves as their schooling progresses.

My evidence for this claim is partly due to the comments I overheard in class today. The prof presents a question to the class. Keen, bright-eyed students jab their little hands into the air... Actually it's more like slack-eyed, coffee guzzling students wave at the teacher then begin talking... And their responses to the questions make me wonder what the hell they are doing. All responses are worded so that the student appears uncertain. Phrases like "I was just kind of thinking that..." or "Isn't it possible that..." or "Maybe it's because..."

Why, oh why, is everyone so afraid of throwing an answer out there? Of course what you are saying is what you were thinking. We know that because you're talking and saying things (besides, this was in a psychology class, which just makes it all the more confusing for me). And you are answering a question, not questioning your own intuition. No one really cares if you are dead wrong.

And this doesn't necessarily have to do with shyness. It's often the same 10 or 15 people in a group of 200 that will be shouting out these answers... which are actually uncertainty and questions. And I wonder if anyone is sure of themselves at all?

No comments: